Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing was the UAE’s first entry in to the Volvo Ocean Race. Their latest generation VO70 was designed by Farr Yacht Design and built by Persico in Italy. Diverse Yacht Services were contracted to design, install, commission and support the electric and electrical packages throughout the duration of the project.
Will Best led the electronics and electrical departments for the team ensuring that Diverse was present for every phase of this ambitious project from the first days sailing in Abu Dhabi through to the finish in Galway:
• Initial testing with training boat, instrument system testing and evaluation in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
• Design of the Race boat electrical and electronics system
• Installation at the yard in Persico, Bergamo, Italy
• Commissioning in La Spezia, Italy
• Support and further refinement of the system throughout the training phase in Cascais, Portugal and Southampton, U.K.
• Race Support at every stopover around the world
Diverse’s involvement with Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing really was a team effort, collaborating closely with navigator Jules Salter and Divere’s own Simon Fisher who joined as part of the sailing team, Will, Alastair, Steve and Ashton all provided their expertise at key moments of the project ensuring things went off without a hitch.